List three examples of plagiarism and discuss how plagiarizing as a student affects the integrity of a baccalaureate degree, the public perception of the nursing profession, and evidence-based practice. Describe two things you will do to ensure academic integrity in your work.
Expert Solution Preview
Plagiarism is a serious issue in academia that can have negative consequences on both the academic integrity of the degree and the professional reputation of the nursing field. As a medical professor, it is important to address and prevent plagiarism in order to ensure a fair and honest learning environment for students.
Three examples of plagiarism include:
1) Copying and pasting text from a source without proper citation.
2) Submitting someone else’s work as your own.
3) Paraphrasing a source without proper citation.
Plagiarizing as a student can harm the integrity of a baccalaureate degree because it diminishes the value of the education received. If students are not held accountable for their work and are allowed to pass off someone else’s work as their own, it undermines the credibility of the degree and diminishes the value of their education.
The public perception of the nursing profession can also be negatively affected by plagiarism. If nurses are perceived as lacking honesty and integrity, it can damage the trust patients have in their care and the reputation of the profession as a whole.
Additionally, plagiarism can have a significant impact on evidence-based practice. If research is conducted with fraudulent data, it can lead to incorrect findings and harm patients if those findings are implemented into practice.
To ensure academic integrity in my work, I will implement two strategies:
1) Clearly communicate expectations and guidelines of academic integrity to my students. This will include discussing what plagiarism is and the consequences of plagiarism.
2) Encourage open communication with my students and foster a learning environment where they feel comfortable asking questions and seeking clarification on assignments. By doing this, I can address any issues related to plagiarism before they become problematic.