View the videos segments 1, 2, and 3 for Lauren.
Notice how the nurse continues to gather information to assess the extent of Lauren’s illness. The content relates to the objective that you will be able to describe the symptoms of anxiety and OCD.
Create a document which contains this information:
- Describe at least three clinical signs of Anxiety observed in the videos.
- Describe at least three Obsessive-Compulsive behaviors observed in the videos.
- Explain at least three therapeutic communication techniques used by the nurse in the videos.
- Discuss at least two nursing interventions appropriate for Lauren. Support your choices with rationales.
- Support your ideas with at least two credible resources.
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions linked below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due date
Expert Solution Preview
The videos provide an insight into the assessment of a patient with anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). As a medical professor, it is essential to understand the symptoms, therapeutic communication techniques, and nursing interventions appropriate for patients with anxiety and OCD. This answer will describe clinical signs of anxiety and OCD, therapeutic communication techniques used, nursing interventions for Lauren, and credible resources to support the ideas.
1. Describe at least three clinical signs of Anxiety observed in the videos:
a. Restlessness – Lauren exhibited restlessness by fidgeting and constantly moving her legs while being assessed by the nurse.
b. Increased heart rate – The nurse observed Lauren’s increased heart rate, suggesting she was anxious about her condition.
c. Difficulty in breathing – Lauren experienced dyspnea, a symptom of anxiety, and could not catch her breath.
2. Describe at least three Obsessive-Compulsive behaviors observed in the videos:
a. Handwashing – Lauren frequently washed her hands and used hand sanitizer to clean her hands before and after touching anything.
b. Repeatedly checking – Lauren repeatedly checked her breathing machine to ensure it was working.
c. Decreasing activities – Lauren shows an aversion to any activity that involves leaving her home. She is strictly adhering to avoid social events or exercise.
3. Explain at least three therapeutic communication techniques used by the nurse in the videos:
a. Using open-ended questions – The nurse used open-ended questions to allow Lauren to express her feelings and concerns without interrupting her thought process.
b. Reflection – The nurse reflected back to the patient what she has said to confirm she has understood the patient’s concerns.
c. Active listening – The nurse used active listening to create a therapeutic atmosphere that encouraged Lauren to express herself.
4. Discuss at least two nursing interventions appropriate for Lauren:
a. Controlling anxiety – Lauren requires to be given medication such as anti-anxiety medications and serotonergic medications (SSRI) to control her anxiety.
b. Psychotherapy – Lauren will benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy that will help to manage her anxiety and repetitive thoughts.
5. Support your ideas with at least two credible resources:
a. National Institute of Mental Health. (2021, October 1). Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Retrieved from https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml.
b. American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing.