Assignment: Academic Success and Professional Development PlanPart 4: Research Analysis
Architect Daniel Libeskind is credited with saying “To provide meaningful architecture is not to parody history, but to articulate it.” The suggestion is that his work does not copy the efforts of others but relies on it.
Understanding the work of others is critically important to new work. Contributions to the nursing body of knowledge can happen when you are able to analyze and articulate the efforts of previous research. Research analysis skills are therefore critical tools for your toolbox.
In this Assignment, you will locate relevant existing research. You also will analyze this research using a tool helpful for analysis.
- Reflect on the strategies presented in the Resources this Module’s Learning Resources in support of locating and analyzing research.
- Use the Walden Library to identify and read one peer-reviewed research article focused on a topic in your specialty field that interests you.
- Review the article you selected and reflect on the professional practice use of theories/concepts described by the article.
Using the “Module 4 | Part 4” section of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Templatepresented in the Resources, conduct an analysis of the elements of the research article you identified. Be sure to include the following:
- Your topic of interest.
- A correctly formatted APA citation of the article you selected, along with link or search details.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts presented in the article.
- Analysis of the article using the “Research Analysis Matrix” section of the template
- Write a 1-paragraph justification stating whether you would recommend this article to inform professional practice.
- Write a 2- to 3-paragraph summary that you will add to your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan that includes the following:
- Describe your approach to identifying and analyzing peer-reviewed research.
- Identify at least two strategies that you would use that you found to be effective in finding peer-reviewed research.
- Identify at least one resource you intend to use in the future to find peer-reviewed research.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor, it is critical to develop research analysis skills in our medical college students. In this particular assignment, the students are expected to locate relevant research articles, analyze them using a specific tool, and evaluate whether the article could inform professional practice. This exercise will not only help them understand the importance of gaining knowledge from previous research but also equip them with the necessary skills to critically evaluate existing literature.
What is the objective of the “Research Analysis Matrix” section in the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template?
The “Research Analysis Matrix” section in the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template has the objective of helping the students analyze the research article they selected. This matrix guides the student through various questions about the article, including the research problem, purpose, methodology, and conclusions drawn from the study. Additionally, this tool helps the students determine the strengths and weaknesses of the research and evaluate whether the study’s findings could inform professional practice.
Why is it essential to use peer-reviewed research articles in developing professional practice?
It is critical to rely on peer-reviewed research articles because they undergo an extensive review process before publication. Peer-review is a crucial aspect of quality control in research, ensuring that the study presented is methodologically sound and has important implications for the field. Using peer-reviewed research articles helps to ensure that practitioners implement evidence-based practice, ensuring that their approaches are backed with scientific evidence. Additionally, peer-reviewed articles help to ensure that the discipline’s body of knowledge grows systematically, building on existing literature while fostering progressive improvements in future research.
#Assignment #Academic #Success #Professional #Development #PlanPart