Assignment: Legislation Comparison Grid and Testimony/Advocacy Statement
As a nurse, how often have you thought to yourself, If I had anything to do about it, things would work a little differently? Increasingly, nurses are beginning to realize that they do, in fact, have a role and a voice.
Many nurses encounter daily experiences that motivate them to take on an advocacy role in hopes of impacting policies, laws, or regulations that impact healthcare issues of interest. Of course, doing so means entering the less familiar world of policy and politics. While many nurses do not initially feel prepared to operate in this space effectively, the reward is the opportunity to shape and influence future health policy.
- Select a bill that has been proposed (not one that has been enacted) using the congressional websites provided in the Learning Resources.
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Comparison Grid; 1- to 2-page Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement)
Part 1: Legislation Comparison Grid
Based on the health-related bill (proposed, not enacted) you selected, complete the Legislation Comparison Grid Template. Be sure to address the following:
- Determine the legislative intent of the bill you have reviewed.
- Identify the proponents/opponents of the bill.
- Identify the target populations addressed by the bill.
- Where in the process is the bill currently? Is it in hearings or committees?
- Is it receiving press coverage?
Part 2: Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement
Based on the health-related bill you selected, develop a 1- to 2-page Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement that addresses the following:
- Advocate a position for the bill you selected and write testimony in support of your position.
- Describe how you would address the opponent to your position. Be specific and provide examples.
- Recommend at least one amendment to the bill in support of your position.
Expert Solution Preview
Advocacy is an essential component of nursing practice, as nurses play a vital role in promoting and improving the health of individuals, families, and communities. This assignment requires students to select a proposed health-related bill from the congressional websites provided and complete a Legislation Comparison Grid Template. Additionally, they are to develop a 1- to 2-page Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement that supports their position on the selected bill.
1. What is the purpose of the Legislation Comparison Grid Template in this assignment?
The Legislation Comparison Grid Template aims to provide a framework for analyzing health-related bills and identifying key components that could potentially impact healthcare policies and regulations. It requires students to determine the legislative intent of the bill, identify the proponents and opponents of the bill, and target populations addressed by the bill. Additionally, it allows students to evaluate current progress of the bill and whether it is receiving press coverage. By completing this template, students can gain a deeper understanding of how healthcare policies are created and influenced.
2. How can development of a Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement impact healthcare policies and regulations?
The development of a Legislation Testimony/Advocacy Statement allows nurses to use their voice and advocate for policies that they believe will positively impact the healthcare system. The testimony provides students with an opportunity to communicate their position on the bill, describe how they would address opponents, and recommend amendments that align with their position. When nursing professionals participate in the policymaking process, they can influence regulations and policies that can ultimately improve the health of patients and communities.
#Assignment #Legislation #Comparison #Grid #TestimonyAdvocacy